Each month we will be collecting between 1600 and 5000 quilt blocks. The blocks are sewn together by volunteers at all day "sew-in" sessions. We have room for more than 100 volunteers every month and will schedule additional days if supply of blocks requires it. It takes 16 blocks to make one quilt. We are estimating 100 quilts the first month. You can see samples of a quilt block and a completed quilt top on our main blog page. These comprise the front of the quilt. In order to complete the quilt and get it delivered to a someone who was wounded serving in Iraq or Afghanistan we need to purchase supplies every month for:
- FABRIC -Back of the quilt (generally 4 to 7 yards)
- FABRIC - Binding (the part sewn around the edge of the quilt to enclose the raw edges - generally 2 yards)
- FABRIC - Label (goes on the back of the quilt with all the names of the 16 block makers, 1 piecer, and 1 quilter)
- FABRIC - Presentation Case - each quilt is presented in a presentation case of coordinating fabric. The presentation case is the size of a standard pillow case.
- Batting (filling) for each quilt. We estimate $25.00 per quilt for batting. $25 x 100 + $2500 for batting.
- Thread - thread will be needed for sewing and for embroidery for the labels. We don't have a good estimate for this as yet. Our forecasting ability will improve in the next 90 days. Our initial estimate is $500 per month at bulk wholesale purchase price.
Sponsorship Available: $33,000 for one month